Thursday 3 March 2011

Sew Purple

 I'm so loving all the purple spring flowers around at the moment - in so many shades  from deepest blue purple to palest pinky purple or mauve. The local flower shop has buckets filled with bright jewel coloured anemones, and some hyacinths added in for scent as well as colour... I treated myself to a small bunch at the weekend...
 Some of the dotty lilac shades of fabric seemed perfect for this new project...a  little purple pincushion..
Big applique flowers with button centres, a four-patch patchwork square, and some little labels...
Lots of people kindly asked about the labels I used on another project I showed recently...I made them by printing words onto strips of cotton fabric using alphabet rubber stamps and an indelible ink pad. You can back the labels with bondaweb, or just fold and stitch them - they can also look nice with frayed edges in some projects...it's an easy way to add a greeting to a hand knitted or stitched gift too...
We saw these beautiful crocuses at the weekend - there was a vast area of them beneath some trees and on first sight they really were breath taking! So much colour about at last, and lots more to look forward to. Thank you for all your lovely comments about the bunnies in my last post, I enjoyed reading every one. Have a great weekend, wishing you sunshine, blue skies and masses of spring flowers. Back soon xxx

24 comments:

greenrabbitdesigns said...

Lots of lovely purple shades today Helen, lovely.
Your little pin cushion is sweet!
I think the printing is a great idea. I must get an indelible ink pad, I have so many stamps, I'd love to give that a try!
Vivienne x

Pipany said...

Hello Helen. We have the most beautiful spring sunshine here today and it makes everything shine, just like your post. I love those sweet lilacs. Have a lovely day x

Naturally Carol said...

When spring breaks through it comes out in style doesn't it? Loving the crocuses and snowdrops at your place and your beautiful pincushion. I might have a look around for some stamps too.

Crafts @ Home said...

I think purple is my all time favourite colour.... and that pincushion really is so sweet with those pinky purple colours, I do love the little handmade label as well,
Sue Xx

mandy said...

What eye candy! I love purple! :)

gillyflower said...

Love the sweet pincushion, lovely fabrics.
Adore lovely Snowdrop in your last post - she's perfect!
The pink and purple anemones are gorgeous!
Enjoying your blog so much!
Gill x

Jane said...

They are lovely colour combos Helen and I love the way you have used them in your pincushions. Beautiful work, as always. It's finally been a glorious sunny day here (and it was my non work day, even better)...nearly spring at last.
Have a great nearly weekend,
Jane x

Hazel said...

Beautiful pictures. Love the anemonies and your pincushion is just lovely. x

Marigold Jam said...

Love the little pin cushion. Thanks for the tip as to how to make the little labels - must try that myself.

Jane

clare said...

Love the colour combo on your flowers!
The pin cushion are gorgeous!
Happy weekend hun...xx
Hugs Clare@weekend crafter xx

Unknown said...

I just bought a purple based fabric on eBay, it must be something in the water!

Teresa Kasner said...

Love me some purples!! Gorgeous shot of the crocus!

Hope you have a super lovely weekend.

Teresa from Oregon

Mia said...

Happy, sunny and flower-filled weekend to you too, Helen!

Yours,
Mia

Kate said...

Gorgeous splashes of colour - fabulous pincushion. I love your jug of sweet peas in the sidebar too!

moonstruckcreations said...

So spring like! A nice burst of colour on a grey day!

Helenxx

sew said...

Love the pincushion and the gorgeous colours. I have anemones in a birthday bunch from my son this week - lovely! Thanks for the info about the labels - something else to try.Your blog is a joy to look forward to.

mynestofyarnandbuttons said...

Hi Helen, The lilac and purples are so pretty. Love those colors and the crocuses are breathtaking and abundant. I love the pin cushion and the labels,thank you for sharing how you make them. I hope I can find an indelible ink pad. Thanks for all your lovely comments on my blog. I love them all. xoYour NE FriendRobin❤

Teje said...

Hello Helen! Purple colours are so wonderful! The pincushion you have made with lovely colours and again sweet details is so so beautiful!
Have a great spring weekend!
xxx Teje

faith76 said...

Really like the pin cushion - what a lovely idea.

Leah x

faith76 said...

Really like the pin cushion - what a lovely idea.

Leah x

koralee said...

This colour does make my heart sing my sweet friend....sending you weekend JOY. xoxoxoxo

ALISON said...

What lovely things you make, bunnies so sweet and materials lovely designs. I just joined you today nice to meet you. ciao Alison (Italy)

Nic said...

that pink cushion is lovely! :) do you ever sell any of the things you make?

home made gorgeous said...

Hi Helen, I love your purple post! The pin cushion is gorgeous I love all the detail, it's so exciting when all the spring flowers start appearing isn't it... even though it's still cold outside! Sarah x